Friday, August 27, 2004

Part 6 - Chapter 1 - Suspicions and Doubt

The young woman knelt by a still pool. As she leaned forward to collect a bucket full of water, she caught a glimpse of her own reflection. Her face looked so tired and worn now and her clothes were drab and ragged. Not long ago she had looked like a different person, fresh and relaxed, dressed in the garb of a priestess.

As she rose to her feet, she noticed her surroundings. Instead of at a temple, she was at the edge of the marketplace, on the poorer side of town. This was where she lived now.

As she turned to collect her pail of water and go she suddenly realized she wasn't alone.

"Come with me," the man said. "I'll take you away from here. Make a better life for you."
He reached for her, but she drew back, afraid and repulsed.

"No! . . . No," Eileen mumbled in her sleep. As the intensity of her dream reached its peak, Eileen awoke with a gasp. She sat up in bed and looked around her familiar bedroom. Once she was assured of where she was and that she had just been dreaming, she laid back in bed and relaxed.

These powerful dreams had been coming to her more and more often. Almost every night. And each time she found that was able to recall more details. She had a strong feeling that these dreams meant something important, but she was still sorting out what the significance was.

Eileen's thoughts were interrupted by the ringing of the telephone.

"Eileen? It's Veronica," the voice on the other line said. "I was wondering if you would do me a favor. I left some papers on my desk at home. Could you bring them by my office for me?"

"Sure," Eileen replied groggily.

A half hour later, Eileen was in the waiting room of her stepmother's office, handing Veronica's papers to her receptionist. As she turned to leave, she noticed Cassandra sitting in the corner of the room, reading a magazine. Eileen considered going over to say hello, but she knew some people were sensitive about being seen in Veronica's office. Before Eileen could make a decision, Cassandra looked up from the magazine and smiled at her, so Eileen walked over and said hello.

"How are you feeling?"

"Fine. I'm glad I ran into you today. I never got to thank you and your friend for getting me to the hospital."

"It was no problem at all. I'm just glad you're alright."

"It was just one of those things," Cassandra shrugged. "The doctors said there was nothing wrong with me, so that was good news."

Eileen nodded. "Did they find out why you fainted?"

Cassandra hesitated and then explained, "Not exactly . . .but I know why I fainted." She looked around to make sure that no one was listening and then continued in a whisper, "I had this premonition that someone I know was going to be in an accident and I kind of... panicked."

"Did your premonition come true?" Eileen asked.

Cassandra nodded. Pleased that someone was interested in what she was saying and actually believed her, she continued, "They always do. Luckily my friend wasn't hurt, but now I have to keep regular appointments with Dr. Townsend."

"Why?" Eileen asked confused.

Cassandra sighed, "I said too much in front of the doctors and they told my dad about what I was saying. He doesn't like it when I talk about my premonitions."

Eileen nodded. She could relate with that statement.

"You see, my mom had psychic abilities. But people said she was crazy and she got sent away to a mental hospital. I think my dad's just worried that the same thing will happen to me."

"That's awful," Eileen sympathized. She was about to ask Cassandra more about her premonitions when she noticed Cassandra back up. Eileen turned to see what Cassandra was looking at and saw a man walking towards them.

"Are you ready to go, Cassie?" he asked.

"Yes," she replied. "It was nice talking to you, Eileen."

"And to you too. We should get together sometime."

Cassandra smiled brightly and replied, "I'd like that."

As Cassandra and her father left, Veronica stepped out of her office and said goodbye to another patient. She saw Eileen and walked over.

"Thanks for bringing the papers, Eileen. I don't know how I forgot them this morning."

"You're welcome," Eileen replied. When Veronica started to walk back into her office, Eileen followed her. "I didn't know Cassandra was a patient of yours."

"You know her?"

"Yeah, she's in my . . .study group," Eileen replied and quickly added, "She was the friend I had to take to the hospital one night after she fainted."

"I remember you mentioning that now."

"She said she had some kind of premonition that night and that's why she's seeing you. Do you think she's telling the truth?"

"You know I can't discuss my patients," Veronica said. When Eileen didn't say anything right away, she sensed that something else was on her stepdaughter's mind. "Is there something else you want to talk about, Eileen? You didn't come back to my office just to talk about Cassandra, did you?"

"There is something," Eileen admitted. "I've been having these dreams." When Veronica nodded at her to go on, Eileen described the reoccurring dreams she was having, where she was a woman in the past, and the two men that were also in the dreams. "What do you think they mean?"

"Well, dreams are the mind's way of working out issues from our daily lives. Is there anything you feel conflicted about?"

Eileen half-shrugged. Veronica's explanation sounded reasonable, but she still wondered if there was more to it.

As Eileen was on her way out, Veronica said to her, "Don't be in a hurry to give Hector your decision. Take your time and think it over carefully."

Hector opened the doorway to Clifford's old office a crack and peeked inside. He couldn't believe it was true, the place had been cleared out. It was completely bare. He smiled to himself. That could only mean one thing . . .Arthur was going to appoint a new vice president soon.

"It will all be mine soon," he thought to himself. "And everything I've done will have been worth it."

When Hector heard someone behind him clear their throat, he turned around quickly and tried to think of an excuse for poking around the empty office.

"What are you doing, Hector?"

When Hector saw that it was only Lawrence behind him, he relaxed. "Just making plans for my new office. It's just a matter of time now before Mr. Townsend announces his new vice president."

"You?" Lawrence completed the thought, but with a mocking edge to his voice.

"Who else? I've worked here the longest. I've got the most experience. And I'm about to become the boss's future son-in-law. The position has my name written all over it."

When Lawrence only replied with a doubtful smirk, Hector assumed he was jealous.

"Don't worry, Laurie. I won't forget about my friends when I reach the top. I'll make sure there's a promotion for you."

"Hector. Lawrence. There you are," Arthur greeted them as he and another man walked over. "I'd like you to meet our new junior executive, R.J. Majors."

As Arthur went on to list a few of R.J.'s credentials, Hector was impressed, but he didn't feel threatened by the newcomer.

"R.J. this is Lawrence Arrendale and Hector Burgess. You'll be working with both of them quite a bit and I'm sure if you have any questions, they'll be happy to help."

Hector stepped forward first to shake R.J.'s hand. "Nice to meet you. Welcome to the company."

"I'll leave you to it," Arthur said as he turned to leave. "If you need anything, just drop by my office."

"Thanks, Mr. Townsend," R.J. replied as the boss walked away.

"So, R.J.," Hector began. "You worked at Simmington's before you came here?"

"That's right," R.J. nodded.

"I had an internship there one summer when I was in college."

"Really?" R.J. remarked with interest.

"I did," Hector replied. "Is old Crumplebottom still working?"

R.J. grinned. "You know it. That man will still be working there on the day he dies. But no one's sure if even death would slow him down."

The two men laughed together. "That's what everyone always said when I was working there."

R.J. and Hector's conversation was interrupted when Amanda came over and gave R.J. some paper work to fill out.

"Well, I'd better get to work. Nice meeting you, Hector. Lawrence," he added with a nod and then started towards his desk.

"We'll have to get together at lunch some time and talk some more," Hector called after him.

Once R.J. was gone, Lawrence turned to Hector and remarked, almost bitterly. "It looks like the company is shaping up to your liking."

The remark caught Amanda's attention and she turned towards the two men, wondering what Lawrence had meant and if the comment had anything to do with her husband. Although neither one of them seemed to notice her standing there, the conversation ended, as Hector smirked and walked away.

Next

No comments:

Post a Comment