Monday, January 15, 2007

Part 24 - Chapter 3 - Under Arrest

"This cake is delicious. Are you sure you don't want any, Alma?"

"No, thank you. I'm sure."

"Are you on a New Year's diet?" the other woman asked. "I told myself I was going to cut back on the sweets this year, but you see how long that's lasted."

The woman sitting next to Alma laughed. "It's the same for me. I can never seem to keep a resolution for more than two weeks."

"I just don't feel like eating anything right now. Maybe later," Alma answered. As the other teachers continued talking, Alma stopped listening. Her mind was on other things.


"Are you ok, Alma?"

"I'm just thinking. It's been a long day."

"Just think, it's half over . . . Oh, Bernice, help yourself to some cake. It's over on the counter."

Bernice stood near the doorway, hesitant about sitting at the same table as Alma. "Oh . . . thanks. I'll get a piece in a minute . . . I forgot something," she said and quickly went out of the room.

"That was odd," one of the teachers said quietly once Bernice had disappeared into the hallway.

"She's been acting that way a lot lately."

Alma rose from her chair. She'd noticed Bernice's behavior too and she'd ignored it for too long. "I'm going to find out what's wrong."


"Vanessa! It's good to see you," Winston, Vanessa's agent, greeted her cheerfully as she entered his office. "I've been trying to get a hold of you. Why haven't you returned my calls?"

"I'm sorry, Winston. I haven't been home to take any calls. When I stopped by briefly to pick up a few things, I didn't even think about checking my messages." She let out a tired sigh, wondering how many other things she hadn't thought about that needed to be taken care of.

"You ought to let your agent know when you're away, at least. Where have you been?" he asked.

"At my sister's house. Someone broke into my apartment."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Was anything stolen?"


"No, luckily, but the police still don't have any leads and I'm not so sure they're really trying to find out who did it."

"That's tough, but I'm glad you stopped by, because I have some good news for you. I've got a part lined up that I think you should audition for. You would be perfect for the role."

"Really? I hope so because I could really use some good news right now. What kind of part is it?"

"It's a supporting role in a movie. The director sent over some lines for you to read at the audition," he said as he went to his desk and started sorting through a stack of papers. Once he found the documents he was looking for, he handed them to Vanessa. "Read it over and let me know if you're interested so I can arrange an audition for you. I hope you take the chance. I really think this could be your big break."


"Bernice, wait," Alma called out as she caught up with Bernice in the hallway. "Can we talk for a minute?"

Bernice stopped, turned to face Alma, and reluctantly waited for her to speak.

"How long are you going to keep trying to avoid me? Why don't you just tell me what your problem is with me and get it over with, so everything can go back to normal?"

"As far as I'm concerned everything is back to normal or will be soon. My babies and I have the house to ourselves again and soon you won't be working here anymore."

"What do you mean? Why would you think that?"

"It happens all the time. A new teacher starts working here, then she gets married and starts having children and then she's gone. I thought you were different than that, Alma."

Alma had no idea how to respond to that statement. She stood in the hallway staring after Bernice as she walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment