Saturday, February 3, 2007

Part 25 - Chapter 3 - The Groundbreaking

"What's going on over there?" Eileen asked as Lawrence parked in front of the groundbreaking site and they both got out of the car. She nodded towards the group of protestors who were grouped behind a police barricade, waving signs and shouting slogans. "Who are those people?"

"They're extremists. A group of students who are against the housing addition."

"Oh," Eileen said. "Are they dangerous?"

"I don't think so. The police are just here to make sure nothing gets out of hand. They're just a group of people who feel strongly about what they believe and want to be heard. I just wish they could see we don't mean any harm and that we aren't doing anything wrong here. There's nothing they can do to stop it now anyway."


Hand in hand, Lawrence and Eileen walked away from the road to where Edward, Alma, and the construction workers were waiting for the ceremony to begin.

As soon as the reporters, their lawyer Quentin, and other friends and supporters arrived, Lawrence and Edward picked up their shovels and Edward paused to make a brief speech.

"To many people this project may seem like just a money making endeavor. While we hope it will be that, to my wife Alma and I, and to my partner in this project, Lawrence, it is much more than that. We hope this land will become a wonderful community where everyone who chooses to make their home here can know and trust their neighbors.


"When I look at this piece of land, I see the future I've been dreaming of for a long time. I see a home that I can finally share with a family of my own. It seems like a simple thing, but it's the greatest thing a man could hope for.

He paused a moment to take in the landscape around him. "I'll stop talking before I get completely choked up. I dedicate this lot, my future home, the first in the community that will be known as Arrendale Heights."

As Lawrence and Edward took up their shovels and turned over the first mounds of soil, the reporters' cameras flashed and the small group gathered around them clapped and cheered.


With the ceremonial part of the groundbreaking over, the group began to disperse and move aside so the construction crew could move in with the larger equipment.

Edward put his arm around Alma as they watched the construction crew begin to dig. "Well, this is it. Can you believe this is going to be the foundation of our new home? Before you know it, we'll have a house of our own and a real home."

"It will be nice, won't it? I can hardly wait."

They watched the crew work for a few minutes more before Alma said, "We should probably get back to the apartment. I told Amanda to come over for dinner around five."

"You're right," Edward agreed, tearing his eyes away from the scene in front of him to smile at his wife. "I'm glad they're coming over. We have a lot to celebrate today."


"So, Arrendale Heights, huh? That's going to be something, having an entire neighborhood named after you," Eileen remarked as she and Lawrence lingered around the construction site.

"Yes, I suppose so. The name was a compromise. Ed had the land we set aside named after him, Wilton Park," he said, nodding towards the wooded area across the street. "and the housing part gets my name. I think he ends up sounding better with the environmentalists."

"It looks like they're giving up and going home," she remarked. The crowd behind the police barricade had all but disappeared.

"There's not much left to see . . . Do you want to take a walk with me?"

"I'd love to, but it's kind of cold out here, don't you think?"

"We can make it a short walk and get something warm to drink afterwards."

"Sounds good."


"Thank you for coming over on such short notice, Mr. Jordan," Victoria greeted Justin at the door. "Please, come in and have a seat."

"How have you been, Mrs. Burgess?" he said in a stiff, but polite manner. "I'm sorry to hear about your son's arrest."

"Yes, I'm not doing very well I'm afraid. This is terrible business to have to cope with." When Justin only nodded, she continued. "That is partially why I wanted to see you, Mr. Jordan. I've reconsidered your position and I would like for you to come back and work for me at the house."

"But I have my duties at the country club."

"I'm sure you could put those aside for now. Between preparing for the trial, warding off reporters, and keeping up with my other duties, I could use a little help managing everything. At the moment, my needs here at the house are more urgent than those at the country club. If you insist on continuing with your work at Pheasant Run, I'm sure you could find a little time on the side to keep up with those duties."


"I'm sorry, ma'am, but I have to say no. My responsibility to the country club has to come first."

"I'm prepared to offer you a raise and to make your position here a permanent one if you wish."

"I'm sorry," he said, standing firm.

For a moment, Victoria's demeanor started to slip and Justin could see just how vulnerable and alone she really was. When she spoke again, her tone was still controlled, but less commanding. "Would you please consider it? I'm just feeling so overwhelmed right now and I need help from someone who is loyal and trustworthy. The only person I know that meets that criteria is you, Mr. Jordan. I don't know who else to ask."

Justin hesitated, thinking it over. "If I agree, it has to be under one condition. My work at Pheasant Run comes first. Mrs. Sexton is counting on me to manage things at the country club and I won't abandon my work there, especially not now, when she's waiting on this trial as well."

Victoria sighed. She didn't like being forced to submit to anyone else's terms but she didn't have many options. "Fine, Mr. Jordan. We can work out a schedule that works for you."

"In that case, I accept the job."

No comments:

Post a Comment