Saturday, January 24, 2009

Part 34 - Chapter 1 - See You in Court

"Chloe! I've missed you," Eileen greeted her friend with a hug and led her into the house. "Come in, have a seat, and tell me how you've been."

"I'm doing alright," Chloe said with a shrug.

"Just alright? I thought you liked living on the islands."

"I did. How could you not love all that sun and sand? It's just . . .things were getting complicated with my love life and I missed all of my friends here. Now, let me see that ring."

When Eileen lifted up her left hand, Chloe sighed. "It's beautiful and you look so happy. I'm so excited for you."

"Thank you. I just can't wait to have the wedding and finally make it official."


"Then let's get busy. What's first on the agenda?"

"Well, Cassie suggested this club a friend of hers just opened as a place for the reception. I told her I would check it out, but I think I'd rather have it at Pheasant Run. That's where I always pictured it."

"What about Lucy?"

"Didn't I tell you? I took your advice and went to talk to her."

"And you made up? That's great!"

"I'm glad I stopped by when I did . . .Have you talked to Lucy recently?"

"No, but I've been meaning to."

"You should. She's had a lot going on lately and she really needs her friends right now."


Craig peeked through the doorway of the nursery as Lucy laid Stuart down in his crib for a nap. He felt a sharp pain of regret at the loss of his family. When Lucy turned and he saw clearly the full round shape of her pregnant belly, his sadness turned to anger. That child that she was carrying should have been his, but instead it was another man's baby.

Lucy jumped back startled, when she saw Craig watching her from the doorway. She quickly composed herself and walked towards him, quietly closing the door behind her.

"I really need to get the locks changed," she grumbled.


"Lucy-"

"What are you doing here? Don't you understand that I don't want to see you?"

"I get that. But we need to talk. About the divorce."

"What about it?"

"I think we should come to an agreement, work this out between the two of us, outside of court."

"I don't think so."

"Just hear me out a second. I think you're going to be interested in what I have to say."


Blaine walked solemnly up the courthouse steps. He'd had mixed feelings about coming here today. He didn't want to see the man who had tried to kill him and Reese on separate occasions, but he did want to see justice served. He wanted to see that Silas paid for all of the crimes that he committed and was put away for a long time.

He wondered if Reese would show up for the sentencing. She had been there when Silas had run him over with his car and she had been the victim when he caused the gas leak in her house, an accident that was meant for both of them. Blaine had given up on any hopes of reconciliation with Reese, but he did still care about her, as a friend, and wondered how she was doing.

His mind was also on Cassie. Silas was her father. He wondered how she was handling all of this. He knew it couldn't be easy for her.


When Blaine walked inside, he saw Cassie standing in the lobby with her mother, sister and step-mother, waiting for the sentencing to begin.

"If you're not feeling well, hon, why don't you go home? You don't have to be here," Vanessa said.

"Hey, what's going on?" Blaine asked.

Cassie only glanced briefly at him before answering Vanessa's question. "It wouldn't do any good. I'd just feel worse at home. I think I need to be here, but something bad is going to happen, I can feel it."

Serena reassuringly patted her daughter's back. "Try not to take it upon yourself, Cassandra. What will happen will happen. I promise you, everything will be alright. Everything will be made right."

No comments:

Post a Comment