Friday, June 5, 2009

Part 36 - Chapter 6 - From this Day Forward

"Oh, Lucy, she's so adorable," Chloe cooed as she held Lucy's newborn baby girl in her arms, while Lucy rested. "What's her name?"

"Maura," Lucy replied. "Maura Justine Stuart."

"Not Sexton?"

"No, of course not. She's not Craig's daughter. I'm sure he doesn't want her to have his last name and I don't either. In fact, I'm changing my last name back to Stuart too. I'm changing a lot of things," Lucy said thoughtfully. "I'm really going to try to simplify my life. I'm going to stop worrying about appearances and what people think and just focus on my kids and what's best for them. I'm going to find a smaller house to make a nice home for us and I'm going to go back and finish medical school, so I can support my family by myself."


"That's a good idea, but I don't want you to think you have to do it all on your own," Chloe said. "You know Eileen and I will always be happy to babysit and if you need a place to stay until you get a place of your own, you and the kids are more than welcome to stay with me. I feel like I'm starting over too and it would be nice to feel like I have someone to start over with."

"That is so kind of you, Chloe," Lucy said, teary eyed. "I don't know what to say."

"It's nothing. We've been friends for so long, it's like we're family."

"I'm lucky to have a friend like you. Thank you for being here with me. I really dreaded going through this alone, but you don't have to stay. You should get back to the party."

"Are you sure? I don't mind staying."

"No, you should go. I'm going to try to get some rest anyway and I don't want you to miss your chance to flirt with James."

Chloe laughed. "Well, when you put it that way . . .I'll go and tell everyone the news. If you need me or need anything at all, call me, ok?"


"That's it," the nurse said as Reese finished signing the release papers. "You can take your little girl home now. Congratulations."

"Thank you, Reese said quietly as she took her baby out of the nursery. Reese felt a little nervous just holding and carrying her. She seemed so tiny and so fragile. The realization that she was going to have to take care of her all on her own was a daunting thought. "But," she reasoned with herself, "other people do it all the time and so can I."

"Let's go home," she said to her little girl as she headed towards the hospital entrance. "We have a lot of things to do."


"Andrew," Amanda said timidly. She cautiously approached her husband from behind while he was sitting at the bar. "I can explain."

"Explain what?" he asked in a slurred voice as he wobbily spun around to face her. "Do you think you can really have an explanation for lying to me, your own husband about being pregnant?"

"You're right, there is no explanation," she admitted. "but that day at Alma and Ed's, I didn't set out to say I was pregnant. I was going to tell you that I'd found a baby to adopt, but then I started thinking about all the things I'd miss out on by not carrying the baby myself and it made me so sad that before I could even think, it just came out and I said I was pregnant."

"Just came out? How does something like that just come out?"


"I don't know how, but it did. That's how it happened. I wish I could take it back now, but once I said it, I felt like I was in so deep that I couldn't take it back. And I didn't want to take it back. I wanted it to be real. I wanted it so bad."

"Did you ever, even once, think of anyone else? Did you think about me? That was supposed to be my baby too. It was supposed to be a part of me and you. When you told me you lost the baby, it hurt me too. Did you even think of that or did you just not care at all about what it would do to me?"

"Of course I care. I wasn't thinking straight. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. You have to forgive me."

"I don't think I can. I don't think I can even look at you again. You disgust me. Get away from me. Get out of my life. I don't care if I never see you again."

"Don't say that. You don't mean that," Amanda pleaded, but Andrew turned his back and refused to look at her.

When Amanda turned away, she saw her sisters looking in her direction. By their shocked expressions she knew they'd overheard the entire conversation. She approached them, desperate to find someone to take her side.


"Please, you'll listen to me, won't you? You'll let me explain?"

"We've already heard your explanation," Alma said coolly. "Amanda, how could you do that? What on earth were you thinking?"

"I don't know. I really don't know," Amanda sobbed. "Everything just got out of control so fast. And now Andrew won't even look at me . . .But you're my sister, Alma, you have to help me."

"I don't know what to say," Alma replied slowly. "I think you do need help, but more than I can give you."

"Can I stay with you if Andrew won't forgive me, at least until I get things sorted out?"


"I don't know," Alma hesitated. "This is your mess. You made it and you're going to have to deal with it. Besides, given what's been going on, I'm not sure I would want you around my children. I just don't know, Amanda."

"Children?" Amanda repeated in disbelief. "Are you telling me you're pregnant again? I can't believe this! How can my life be so unfair. I can't take it!" Amanda exclaimed and stormed out of the room for the second time that night.

"Do you think she's going to be alright?" Vanessa asked with concern.

Alma just shook her head. "Who knows. I can't believe this. I don't even know about her anymore."


Amanda paused on the veranda outside of the country club, letting the door slam shut behind her. She let out a deep huff and closed her eyes tightly for a moment as she tried to control her anger and fight back her tears. Everything had blown up in her face and when she was really honest with herself she had to admit that she deserved it. She hadn't meant for things to go this far or get so out of control, but she had no one to blame for it, but herself.

She hated that everything had turned out this way. Andrew, Alma, and everyone else probably hated her right now and maybe for good reason. But they couldn't hate her forever, she tried to convince herself. Alma was her sister, she had to forgive her and Andrew was her husband and she knew he couldn't hate her forever either. It was going to be rough for awhile, but it had to blow over eventually, she reasoned. Didn't it?


"Chloe, you're back?" Eileen said happily as she saw her friend approaching. "Do you have news?"

"Yes, Lucy had the baby. She had a baby girl and her name is Maura."

"Aw, I can't wait to go see her. How's Lucy doing?"

"Fine. They're both doing great. It's a tough situation for Lucy, but she's actually holding it together really well. I think she's got a good attitude towards life and I let her know she'll always have us if she ever needs any help or support."

"Absolutely," Eileen agreed. "This is so exciting though. A new baby for Lucy, a new husband for me, and both in the same day. This is definitely a memorable day."

"Um hmm," Chloe voiced her agreement, but she was only half paying attention. While Eileen was talking she had caught James' eye as he was walking away from the dj booth and towards her. "Speaking of that new husband of yours, you shouldn't waste any more time talking to me, go find him and enjoy your wedding party together."


Eileen smiled slyly. She knew Chloe was making up an excuse to get her out of the way and she knew why, but she didn't mind. "You know, I think that sounds like a great idea. I hope you enjoy the party too."

"Hey, you're here after all," James said as he approached Chloe. "I didn't see you in the crowd."

"We're you looking for me?"

"Kind of."

"I had to take off for a little while, but luckily I made it back."

"Just in time too. I was told there's time for one more song before the bride and groom head out and the party's over. You want to dance?"

"I'd love to."


"So, it looks like the party's winding down," Lawrence said to his new bride. "What did you think of the reception? Was it and the wedding everything you wanted it to be?"

"Everything I dreamed of and more," Eileen said with a bright smile as she wrapped her arms around Lawrence's waist.

"I'm glad. You have given me everything I've ever dreamed of and I want to make sure you're as happy as you've made me."

"I am, totally and completely happy."

"Then are you ready to get out of here and finally start our life together?"

"Absolutely. We've waited long enough to make it official, let's not wait any longer."


As the song playing over the stereo ended, Lawrence whispered something to James who then broke away from Chloe and took the mic.

"Everyone, thanks for coming tonight, but as they say, 'all good things must come to an end.' That's going to be our last song for the evening. If everyone would head towards the front door, let's say good night to our hosts, the bride and groom, and wish them well as they head off into the sunset."

The remaining party guests lined the lobby of the country club, clapping and tossing rose petals as Lawrence and Eileen passed through on their way out the front door. As the newlyweds carefully made their way down the front steps towards the street where their car was waiting, everyone followed them outside and gathered on the veranda.


Eileen and Lawrence paused at the bottom of the steps and turned around, looking back and the friends, family, and co-workers who were there to send them off.

Eileen's heart swelled with warmth seeing all of the people that she cared for and she hoped that everyone looking down at them, from the long devoted couples, like her parents, to those just starting out together, to the unattached friends, would be as happy as she was at this moment.

Some of them had been through so much together and she hoped that they would still remain close enough to experience all the joys and even the struggles that were sure to come in the future. At the moment the future looked so bright and hopeful, she couldn't hope for anything more than for it to always be like this.


When she squeezed Lawrence's hand and turned to smile at him, she could tell by the glimmer in his eyes that he felt the same happiness she did.

They had both come along way from when they'd first met and were looking forward to many happy years ahead of them building their new home together in Arrendale Heights.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you Em!

    I loved every single word of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading, Ulli. I really appreciate that you've taken the time to read it all and to leave a comment. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ------

    Here's the comments that were left at my old site...

    WOW, so great to see Audrey again!

    PLEASE PLEASE PLEAS dont let Reese leave, she's my absolute fave - I couldn't stand to lose her

    amazing episode as always
    simfan45 | 06.25.09 - 2:35 pm | #


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Wonderful episode as always, enjoy your break and the kiddo!
    starrsim | Homepage | 07.12.09 - 10:12 am | #

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, Em. Happy and heart wrenching at the same time.

    Eileen looked so beautiful for her wedding, and the ceremony was just gorgeous. I especially liked the picture of the happy couple gazing back at their friends. What a neat angle to snap the pic - from the guests' backs.

    I'm happy for Reese, and I can't decide if I'm happy she didn't tell Blaine or not. She may come to regret that decision when her daughter is old enough to start asking questions.

    Lucy is very strong and brave, and I have no doubt she'll make a good life for herself and her kids. I was always kind of pulling for her and Justin - and was so happy they had their scandalous affair, lol. I'm hoping he comes back into her life someday.

    I'm sad to see this come to an end, but I understand the need to do something else (more than ever!) I'm sure whatever story you decide to tell, you'll do a magnificent job, because you always do ;)

    I promise to start reading Penelope soon so I can see what else you're up to.

    Oh, and have I mentioned I have a crush on Logan? He's dreamy.

    Brilliant job!

    Ari

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, thanks so much for the comments, Ari. I always appreciate your feedback. You've made my day. :D Did you ever read the final episode before? I originally posted it last summer, but I think you were pretty busy and not around as much at that time. It's been less than a year and I'm thinking about coming back to it, probably not like I once did, but maybe some little updates.

    I do remember how much you liked Logan. Do you still sim much? If you want him, I could try to send him to you. I thought about adding him to my LaFemme hood for you, but I can't remember if I actually did or not, it's been so long.

    Thanks again! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hee hee hee. I would be glad to have Logan roaming around one of my hoods, as I'm starting to ease back into simming. And if you can't, no worries.

    Yes, this was my first time reading it. Last summer was...not good for me. But I'm finally starting to feel like myself again and starting to get into life again. And oddly enough, when I was reading through some of your outtakes, I actually had a couple of twinges of missing storytelling. It surprised me, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I get a chance to get him packaged up, I'll send him your way then. I moved a copy of him into my Eden neighborhood and tried out one of the body builder body types on him and I think it looks really good on him.

    I knew you were going through a rough time last summer, but didn't remember if it was before or after I posted the finale. I've missed seeing you around the forums and I've missed your stories too. But I can totally understand taking a break from it all. I was always amazed at how much you could do, having 3 busy boys. I've had a hard enough time doing anything with just one. I'm really glad things are improving for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the kind words, Em. They are much appreciated.

    No rush on Logan - I know you have a lot going on, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete