Monday, January 15, 2007

Part 24 - Chapter 5 - Under Arrest

Blaine tapped on the keys of the computer, catching up on some extra work from his new job at home. As he typed, he spent more time looking at Reese, who was sitting on the couch doing a crossword puzzle, than the screen in front of him.

They were starting to adjust to sharing a house. Reese didn't seem as hypersensitive of him anymore. At first she seemed so aware of him, of what he was doing at every moment, and whether he needed anything. Since they talked about it, she'd gone the complete opposite way and seemed to make a conscious effort to ignore him most of the time.

"How's work?" he asked, breaking the silence. "Have you had any interesting cases lately?"

"Not really, just the usual corporate stuff, business contracts, the usual."


"I guess the exciting cases, like tracking down missing heirs, don't come along everyday."

"No. I think that was just a one time thing." She lowered her newspaper and stared forward. "I kind of miss it. Things haven't been as . . . exciting lately."

"No, they haven't, have they?" Blaine said thoughtfully. He stood up from the desk and walked towards Reese. "I think we need to do something about that. Just because we don't have any cases to investigate, everything else in our lives doesn't have to be dull too."

"I didn't mean-"

"I know, but I've been thinking we need to do something to spice things up. I don't want us to be just roommates or turn into an old married couple before we're even old or married. I think tonight we should forget that we live together, get dressed up, and go out for a romantic date night. What do you say?"


"Hey, Cass. What's up?" Zara asked as she invited her sister into her house on campus. "What did you want to talk to me about that you couldn't say over the phone?"

"I'm really worried about Mom. She's been acting really strange lately."

"Strange for her, you mean?"

"I'm serious. She's cancelled all her appointments and just sits in her room. She complains of headaches a lot. I don't think she's well."

"Has she seen a doctor?"

"She won't go. She says there's nothing physically wrong with her. She blames it on this 'evil' that she's sensing."

"And you don't think that's true?"


"I'm not sure." Cassandra frowned. "You know better than anyone that I wouldn't doubt someone who is so sure about a feeling they have. But I'm worried about her. Maybe there is something evil present . . . I haven't sensed it . . . but even if there is, what if there's something really physically wrong with her too? I don't want to lose her again."

"What do you want me to do?"

"Would you talk to her? You're so much better at reasoning with people."

"Yeah, ok. I'll stop by later and see her," Zara said, rising from her seat. "But right now I have to go. I'm supposed to meet Thomas." Zara stopped, noticing Cassandra's look as she turned away. "You don't like him do you?"

"It's not that I don't like him, I just don't get a good feeling from him. Be careful, ok?"


Eileen rapped on the office door before peeking her head inside. "Can I come in?"

"Eileen," Lawrence said with a smile as he stood from his desk. "I'm surprised to see you here."

"Yeah, it's been awhile." She looked around at the office. "I used to be in here all the time when my dad worked here and before . . . everything with Hector happened. It's a lot different now, isn't it?"

"A lot has changed, but all for the better."

"Yeah . . ."

"So what brings you here now?"

Eileen grinned. "I wish I could say it's just to see you, but I also stopped by to ask you a favor."


"What is it?"

"I have to tell my Dad and Lucy that I knew about Hector a long time ago, before they find out from someone else."

"I think that's a good idea. If this goes to trial, you're going to have to testify and the truth will come out sooner or later."

"I know. After talking to Lucy today I realize that. I was wondering if you would be there when I tell them. I'm not sure how they'll react and I could really use someone there who already knows to support me."

"Of course. If you need me, I'll be there," he promised. "When are you going to tell them?"

"As soon as possible. Tonight, I think."

"I'll probably be working late tonight, but I'll come over straight after. Is 8:00 alright?"

"That's great," Eileen said, giving him a hug. "Thank you so much, Lawrence."

No comments:

Post a Comment