Monday, January 15, 2007

Part 24 - Chapter 6 - Under Arrest

"I should have said this earlier, but you look amazing tonight," Blaine said as he waited with Reese for a table after checking their coats.

"It's not too much?" she asked self-consciously.

"No, you look perfect."

"This place is so fancy," she said, looking around. "Are you sure you can afford it?"

"I can afford to splurge once in awhile. This is our romantic night. I want everything to be great."

"What are you doing?" Reese asked, blushing furiously as Blaine put his arms around her and started leading her in a slow dance to the ambient music playing quietly in the background.. "People are watching."

"Just being romantic and spontaneous by dancing with my beautiful girlfriend," he replied.


Reese was still blushing when the host showed them to their table.

After they placed their orders with the waitress, Blaine turned to Reese. "I'm really glad we're here tonight and I'm really glad we're together. Despite all the other stuff that's happened since we started going out, I think it's been really great. I'm so glad you decided to take a chance on me."

"I am too," Reese said shyly. "It wasn't easy for me."

"I know, but it was worth the chance, don't you think?"

"Yes, I do . . . It's kind of nice to have someone around that I can count on . . . I've never really had that before in my life."


"You can have me to count on as long as you want me. It means a lot to me that you feel that way," Blaine said, clearing his throat. "I've been thinking a lot about us and the future. More and more when I think about my future I hope that you'll be a part of it."

"Oh, really?" she said, feeling at a loss for words.

"Yeah, sometimes. I guess I've just been thinking ahead a lot lately, especially since I've graduated. It just feels like it's time to start getting my life in order. I've got a job now, so I can start saving money. I always wanted to get married and have kids, buy my own home. It seems like these dreams just keep getting closer to being real."

When he mentioned marriage and kids, Reese could feel herself tensing up. She tried to be cool and not freak out. "Yeah, I guess they would."


"What are we doing here?" Zara asked as she and Thomas got out of the car. When they met on campus, he hadn't given her any details about where they were going or what they were going to do. He only spoke vaguely about "the plan."

Now that they were standing at the site where the construction was going to start on the Arrendale-Wilton building project, she was getting seriously worried about what he had in mind. "Don't you think it's time you let me in on the details of this plan?"

"Listen, Zara. There are a lot of people I could have asked to help me, but I asked you. Do you know why?" He continued, without waiting for her to answer. "Because I think you are the only one in this whole organization that really thinks of it as more than just an extra curricular activity. You have brains, you have dedication, and I really admire you. I don't want to see you give up so easily."


While part of her was flattered that he was saying exactly what she had wanted to hear from him, the situation made those same words all wrong. She wasn't going to be deterred that easily. "What are you going to do?"

"What I have to do. What we've been forced to do. Keep a look out."

Zara lingered behind him, watching Thomas' every move as he took a toolbox out of his car and quickly walked over to the bulldozer parked on the side of the road.

"Oh no," Zara muttered as she realized what he was doing and just what she had gotten herself into.


Eileen sighed as she looked from the clock on the wall to the front window. They had been waiting a half an hour without any sign or word from Lawrence. "I'm sorry. I don't know what's keeping him. He said he'd be here."

"What is this all about, Eileen?" Arthur asked wearily.

"Can't you tell us without him?" Lucy chimed in. "It's getting late. Craig's expecting me home and I wanted to be back in time to put Stuart to bed." She stood up. "Maybe we could do this another time."

"No, it can't wait," Eileen said. She looked at the door one last time, hoping Lawrence would suddenly appear. When he didn't, she couldn't hesitate any longer. "There's something I haven't told you guys. This isn't easy, but you should hear it from me."

No comments:

Post a Comment