Friday, June 5, 2009

Part 36 - Chapter 3 - From this Day Forward

"Cassandra, Zara, can I talk to you a moment?" Veronica called out as she approached the sisters as they were walking into the vestibule of the church.

"I'm already late. Eileen's probably wondering where I am," Cassie replied quickly, eager to get away.

"I'm sure she'll understand. I'll only take a moment, I promise."

"What is it?" Zara asked.

"We didn't really get to talk at your mother's hearing, but I wanted you both to understand why I said the things I said. I don't expect you to agree with my professional opinion, but I think it's important for me to explain where I was coming from with the recommendations that I'd made."

As Serena's psychiatrist, Veronica had been called upon by the court to evaluate Serena and determine whether or not her mental state should determine her sentence for murdering her ex-husband. The judge had weighed Veronica's testimony heavily in his decision and had Serena committed to a mental institution for an undetermined amount of time.


Cassandra looked away, but Zara was more receptive, "Go ahead."

"I know neither of you wanted to see your mother committed, and I'm sure it's difficult for you to believe this now, but I truly believe it's in her best interest. She's had a traumatic life, mostly due to your father, and the doctors there can help her put her life back together."

"Don't you realize the trauma was caused by her being committed to a mental institution in the first place? And now you're sending her back there?" Cassie asked angrily.

"It won't be like it was before," Veronica promised. "You can visit her as much as you like and she may even be able to leave the premises with supervision. With any luck, she may be released in just a few years time."

"We've lost so many years with her already, even one more is too much . . . I don't want to talk about this," Cassie said before turning away. "I'm supposed to be here for Eileen. I've got to go."

Zara watched as her sister walked away, then said to Veronica. "Don't mind her. She's taking it very hard right now, but she'll come around eventually. I hate that it has to be this way, but I agree that it might be for the best in the long run."


"So this is it. How are you feeling?" Chloe asked as she, Eileen, and Lucy got ready in the bridal room of the church.

"Great. I am so happy and so excited to be getting married. I can't wait."

"You're not nervous? No pre-wedding jitters?" Lucy asked.

"Not at all," Eileen replied. "Well, I am getting a little nervous about one thing. Why isn't Cassie here yet? Maybe I should call her and make sure everything is alright."

"I'll do it for you. What's her number?" Chloe asked.

"That's alright. I can do it," Eileen insisted. "I'm getting a little restless in this room waiting for the ceremony to start. I think I'll just go outside and make sure she's not already here first."


When Eileen opened the door, she saw Lawrence outside, talking to a woman. She quickly ducked back into the dressing room and closed the door.

"What's wrong?" Lucy asked.

"Lawrence is out there."

"Get away from the door," Chloe ordered. "You can't let him see you before the ceremony. It's bad luck. He didn't see you, did he?"

"No, he was talking to a woman, I think it was his ex, Audrey," Eileen said slowly. For a moment she wondered if she should be worried that her husband was talking to the woman who he had quit dating right before he started seeing her, but she knew in her heart she had nothing to worry about. She knew that she was the one he wanted to be with all along and she was the one he was marrying in less than an hour.

"Audrey? As in Audrey Jordan? Let me see," Lucy said, hurrying towards the door.


"Audrey, what a surprise to see you. What brings you here?"

"I just came into town for a couple of days to take care of a few things and I saw your picture in the paper. You're getting married today! Congratulations! She's a lucky girl."

"Thank you, but I'm the lucky one."

"I'm sure you are too. You look great and happy. You look like you're doing well."

"I am. Everything is going great right now. How have you been?"

"Good and things seem to be getting better all the time."


"And how's Chad?"

"Fine. We're still together. He came with me actually, but he's busy taking care of some business this afternoon. He finally saved up enough money to repay what he took from R.J., so he's in town settling his debts, while I've been getting things settled with my brother's apartment since his lease is finally up. As soon as this thing with R.J. is settled, Chad and I are getting married too. We've been engaged for awhile, but wanted to have everything settled first so we could start our marriage with a clean slate."

"Congratulations to you too."

"Thank you. I am so glad that we can finally put the past behind us once and for all. I hope you and your bride are as happy as Chad and I are. I only wish the best for you both."


"Excuse me," Lucy interrupted, catching Audrey as her conversation with Lawrence was ending. "You're Audrey Jordan, aren't you? Justin's sister?"

"Yes," Audrey replied coolly. "and I know who you are. Lucy Sexton? My brother used to work for you. I heard a lot about you from him."

"I've been trying desperately to get a hold of him since he left town, but I haven't been able to find him. Do you know where he is? Could you help me get in contact with him?"

"No, I'm sorry, I can't," Audrey replied shortly. "My brother left town for a reason. He doesn't want to be contacted and for good reason. When he was 'working' for you, he was a wreck. You toyed with his emotions and he couldn't handle it. Believe me when I say he's better off away from you."

"Please, you have to help me get in touch with him," Lucy pleaded. "I have something very important to tell him that he needs to know about."


Audrey followed Lucy's gaze downwards as she laid her hands over her pregnant stomach. When she looked up she caught Lucy's eyes and the women exchanged a look of understanding, but still Audrey refused to budge. She shook her head. "If you care about him at all, you'll just leave him alone. And if you don't, then he doesn't need you in his life either," Audrey said before walking away.

Lucy called after her. "If you won't tell me where he is, at least tell him about the baby. Please."

When Audrey didn't look back, Chloe became outraged. "Can you believe her? Oh, I'm going to go after her and give her a piece of my mind," Chloe said, but before she could take a step she noticed Lucy grasp her abdomen and wince. "Are you ok?"

Lucy nodded. "I think I'm having contractions."

"We should get you to the hospital."

"No, not yet. They aren't that close together yet and I don't want to ruin Eileen's day. I can make it through the ceremony. I'm not going to miss seeing her get married."

No comments:

Post a Comment