Friday, June 5, 2009

Part 36 - Chapter 4 - From this Day Forward

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to witness the blessed union of Lawrence and Eileen and to join them as they are united in holy matrimony.

"Eileen and Lawrence come here in front of God, their family, and their friends to commit their lives to each other. This commitment is not one that should be entered into lightly, but it is a sacred bond that must be created solemnly and advisedly.

"For many couples, the road to the altar is not a straight path. Sometimes there are twists and turns, often there are curves and sometimes even a few bumps in the road. Even when a couple is blessed enough to walk an easier path, one that is more simple and direct, their time together is still a journey.




"The hardships and the joyous moments, the laughter and the pain encountered on this journey serve to forge the bond between them and when both partners are devoted to one another and committed to preserving this bond, this journey will ultimately bring them closer together.

"In some respects this occasion marks an ending, the end of Lawrence and Eileen's journey as single individuals, but more importantly it is a new beginning, a new journey they will take together as husband and wife.


"As is life, the journey that Lawrence and Eileen take together will not always be easy. No doubt there will be difficult times, struggles, moments of heartache and doubt, but through their faith in God and in each other, through their devotion to support and, most of all, love one another, together they will pull through. And when times are good, when life brings them moments of happiness and joy, those moments will be all the better because they have a partner in life to share them with.

"Today Eileen and Lawrence stand before us, two souls devoted to each other, ready and devoted to creating one union, one family, one home, and one life together.

"Now Lawrence and Eileen will now recite the vows they have chosen."




"I, Lawrence, take you, Eileen, to be my wife, my constant friend, my faithful partner and my one and only love from this day forward. I offer you my solemn vow to be your faithful partner in sickness and in health, in good times and in bad, and in joy as well as in sorrow. I promise to love you unconditionally, to honor and respect you, to laugh with you and cry with you, and to cherish you for as long as we both shall live."





"I, Eileen, take you, Lawrence, to be my husband, my partner in life, and my one true love. I will cherish our union and love you more each day than I did the last. I will trust you and respect you, laugh with you and cry with you. I will love you faithfully through good times and bad, regardless of the obstacles we may face together. I give you my hand, my heart, and my love, from this day forward for as long as we both shall live."




"By the power vested in me, I know pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride."

As the couple shared a kiss, the guests at the wedding clapped.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I am pleased to introduce for the first time, Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Arrendale."

The recessional music began to play and with hands joined, Lawrence and Eileen walked away from the altar to greet and thank their guests. They stopped first at the front row, where Eileen gave her father a tearful hug.


Instead of following the rest of the wedding party, Lucy pulled Chloe aside. "I think we should be going to the hospital now."

"Sure. Don't worry. I'll go get the car and I'll be with you all the way."

"What's going on?" Veronica asked as she, Arthur, and Eileen started to take notice of what was happening with Lucy and Chloe.

"Oh, I'm just going into labor," Lucy replied and then winced as another contraction gripped her. "Chloe's taking me to the hospital."

"Arthur and I will be happy to watch Stuart for you."

"I appreciate it," Lucy said. "Take my house keys in case you need to pick up his things and the nanny's number is in the desk."


"Do you need me to do anything? Just let me tell Lawrence what's going on and I'll go with you."

"You can't do that. It's your wedding day," Lucy insisted. "You're the bride, everyone is expecting you at the reception. Go and have a good time. Enjoy your day. Chloe is here for me. She'll make sure I'm taken care of."

Eileen gave Lucy a big hug. "Good luck. If you need me don't hesitate to call and have Chloe get in touch with me as soon as there's news."

"I will. And congratulations, Eileen. I'm so happy for you. I know you and Lawrence are going to be so happy together."

"We already are," Eileen smiled. "And congratulations to you too, Lucy. I can't wait to meet the baby."

No comments:

Post a Comment